Sunday, April 7, 2013

Carpet removal...

Ok.. So today we worked on two areas of the LD -- and yes, I'm posting this out of order as a number of other tasks have been done since I last wrote.. Regardless, I was in a typing mood and wrote this up -- unfortunately without any photos.

 

Since I'm working on a replacement bathroom sink (a prior owner removed it and made a few other mods too) using a template taken from an '87 LD that was parted last summer.. Anyway, a few weeks ago we built the carcass from 1x wood we had lying around in the garage... I then attached with poly construction adhesive, 1/8" panelling on the two outside edges that would be visible. The other two sides will be attached to interior walls so no formal 'skin' is required.

Of course before I could do any of that I needed to reattach the rear wall interior panel that I worked on last summer. See picture below for the outcome from the wall install..

If you're wondering what the hole is in the wall.. It's going to be a small fold-out pocket door of sorts to store your wallet or watch when you go to bed.. It's essentially wasted space due to the slant in that wall. I don't recall the depth at the top of the opening but I believe it's around 7" deep...
You can see the old sink plumbing in the right corner of the above photo.. Soon to be re-instated.
Below is one of many photos taken of the sink framework sitting along side the '87 LD sink being used as my template. You may notice in this photo that the protusion on the left side of the sink is missing.. By the way, all fasteners for the sticks shown in this photo is care of the Kreg fastener system -- worked like a charm!
So, the last thing today I tackled today with some help from my older son was to remove most of the carpet outside of the cab area in the front of the LD.. I must say that regardless of how many times you vacuum that carpet, the dirt just stays behind.. We found writing on the bottom of the carpet near the front area that had the original owners name (Burbridge if I recall) so we know it takes back to 1985... Anyway, we removed the carpet, foam padding (that was essentially doing nothing at this point) and vacuumed the craploads of sand and dirt present under the carpet. Ugg.. We also removed a number of large and small staples that were used to hold the carpet down.. The majority of them will be left in place as they are flush with the floor and will pose no problems with putting down the new flooring..

 

No comments:

Post a Comment